At Actable (www.actabledata.com) we are building a new category that we call the “customer data agency,” and we are looking for exceptional people to join us on that journey. As a business, we help clients collect, organize, activate, enrich, and optimize their customer data to drive business results. We are turning the old, channel-driven marketing paradigm inside-out with a focus on the customer first, working with clients to build and orchestrate engagement strategies that strengthen, expand and enhance their relationships with their customers. We have offices in New Yok City and Portland, Oregon.
Part data engineer, part stats whiz, the Data Scientist position is a ground-level opportunity to help Actable build its data environment, configure data feeds, build predictive models and custom insights. In this role, you will work with marketers’ data warehouses and Customer Data Platforms to develop data feeds and scoring for upsell, cross-sell and retention. The ideal candidate must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods across a variety of data tools. The Data Scientist must be comfortable building, implementing, and interpreting data models.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Mine and analyze data from client databases to drive optimization and improvement of digital marketing techniques.
- Stand-up a data environment for Actable clients that will be used for marketing use cases and customer insights
- Build data feeds from Actable and client environments that transform data according to a variety of business requirements.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Deploy AI-based data modeling toolsets to create next-best action segmentation.
- Surface customer and segmentation insights and communicate back to marketers.
- Understand and simplify complex data environments into easy-to-understand themes and visualizations.
- Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences and marketing campaigns.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
Our ideal candidate has 3-5 years of experience in data analysis, with advertising and marketing experience highly desired. This person should be comfortable both in short-term projects and longer-term agency retainers. Key experiences we need to see include:
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on scalable product
- Hands-on experience with SQL, R, & Python
- Knowledge of a multitude of machine learning techniques (gradient boosting machines, random forest modeling, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts.
- Experience in could-based data environments (Redshift, Snowflake, etc.)
- Experience working with marketing technology or database APIs (REST, SOAP, etc).
- Ability to simplify highly complex data into digestible, visually compelling insights
- Experience constructing coherent narratives from complex data sets
- Self-guided drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- 4 year Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or Applied Math or equivalent experience
Nice to have:
As an early stage company, we need team members who can perform across a wide range of roles, flexing their skills as required by a high growth environment. As such, there are some experiences that would really differentiate the ideal candidate:
- Expertise building visualizations with Google Data Studio, Tableau, Lookr, or similar technology
- Experience with site-side or application-side analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics)
We are looking for people who are willing to come to an early-stage company to help us build something truly special, who are driven to learn continuously, and who are excited to have fun along the way. This is an environment for A-players who believe that real-time, cross-channel customer experiences are the future of marketing, and who want to help bring that future to the present. The ideal employee must display Actable’s core values on a daily basis:
- We act with integrity, always. We are sincere and honest with our clients and with each other.
- We are relentlessly curious. We like to ask, “why,” we love to learn, and we are never satisfied with “good enough.”
- We love to innovate. We build things and invent solutions and products that our clients need.
- We focus on results, and continuous improvement. We drive incremental revenue for our clients on an ongoing basis.
- We collaborate. We share, teach and learn together. We have a ton of fun along the journey.
Additionally, since we are spread between locations and travel frequently, candidates must be comfortable in a high-collaboration virtual environment. Actable has clear guidelines for our expectations in this area. Note, this position is located in Portland, OR but NYC may be a suitable alternative for the right candidate. Actable will offer an attractive compensation package of base salary, profit sharing, and medical / dental / vision benefits.